Hi TreeLady ,
Thanks for posting on forums, DDE server was a part of Windows XP, it was removed from Windows Vista and above. However, if you are getting this error in Acrobat, try the following.
(This error occurs when you have more than 1 process of Acrobat running)
1) Go to the task manager by presiing Ctrl+Alt+Del
2) Go to the processes in Task Manager
3) End all processes related to Acrobat
4) Launch Acrobat again.
Also, to find the root couse or to isolate the issue you can try the following.
1) Click on start
2) Type RUN
3) Type MSCONFIG
4) Go to services
5) Hide all Microsoft services
6) Disable all Services (Except Microsoft)
7) Restart your machine
8) Launch Acrobat to check if you get the issue.
This would help us to understand if Acrobat or any other third party process is not allowing Acrobat process to end causing a conflict .
Normally, AcroTray should stay running. It is the process that automates the printing to PDF.
Thanks for the info. It does seem to work. I did leave AcroTray running based on the second comment, however.
I was looking for something that would be more of a permanent fix, rather than a work around solution. As expensive as the Acrobat Pro software is, I expect it to work without having to do work arounds. I understand that the software is designed to work through a certain operating system and that operating system upgrades are out of Adobe's control, but I would expect a patch to be included in an update of the product within a few months of the operating system upgrade. I guess this is wishful thinking because it doesn't seem to have occurred.
Thanks, Bill. I do create a lot of pdf documents, sometimes by printing to pdf, so this was very helpful.
I too am getting the following error with Acrobat Version: 11.0.06.70: "Fatal Error: Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server" when I try to open a second PDF file in Windows 8.1 Pro. The first PDF opens fine. If I close the first, I can open another one. Essentially, I am limited to opening a single PDF at a time. If I reboot, the problem temporarily disappears (i.e., I can open multiple files without a problem), but the error eventually reoccurs.
I have checked for updates (running the latest) and run the "Repair Acrobat Installation" without success.
I will keep an eye out for a thrid-party interference that may be causing this, but I wanted to post a message so that I can get updates if someone figures out the problem.
Same problem here on a PC running Windows 8.1. A consistent problem that I have tried various times to patch, including uninstalling and re-installing Acrobat Air, then doing the same with XI Pro. As it stands now, Acrobat is unusable. Other Creative Cloud apps do not seem to be affected. A real pain, that is just gobbling valuable time. I agree with Tree Lady. Temporary patches are not what we're paying for.
How are you trying to open additional Acrobat files? Have you tried opening them from within the Acrobat program instead of double clicking on a file? When my problem first started, I could still open multiple files from within the program but double clicking would give me the DDE server error.
I wrote another reply but that one seems to have disappeared. Sorry if I duplicate the info in case it shows up again.
I was able to determine that my problem is triggered when I scan pdf from my Xerox multi-purpose machine to my Windows 8.1 computer. That opens Acrobat to view what was scanned. If I close that session of Acrobat and any others that are open, I can open files again without getting the DDE error, at least until I scan something again. I don't know if that helps or not. It sounds like there could be multiple ways to trigger the error.
Thanks for the reply.
I fixed this issue, but, to be honest, it has been too long and I do not remember what I did.