Thanks for your quick response, its nice to know the Adobe staff checks out these threads.
Unforunatly I installed the new Ifilter (after unisntalling the previous one of course) and the issue still reproduced.
Windows 2008 R2
Create folder called "x" with one pdf file. This pdf file must contain attachments
Go to, "Indexing Options" > Modify > Select this folder as the only folder to index
Let Windows Search Index the folder
View C drive ------ All attachments are extracted and placed into seperate folders that start with, "A9"
I'm wondering if you've configured your environment per the instructions in our Enterprise Toolkit: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/planning.html#ifilter-microso ft-indexing
Searching attachments and portfolios
By default, attachments are not searchable inside Windows desktop search because iFilters for Windows Desktop Search (WDS) run in a filter isolation process (SearchFilterHost.exe). The process runs under the Local System security context with restricted rights which doesn’t permit creating temporary files. Since searching attachments requires creating a temp file, attachment searches fail.
The workaround is to make WDS allow the PDF iFilter to write a temp file so that it can extract contents out of PDF file attachments. To do so:
- Open the registry.
- Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager\UseSystemTemp.
- Set the value to 1.
Let us know!
Unfortunately, the Ifilter is installed correctly as per your instructions and the registry key is set. Have you been able to reproduce this issue on your end?
You can download a video I made of the problem as well as reviewing all the settings that need to be set as per your installation instructions so that you can ensure the setup is correct.
The link will expire in 15 days so if you need a new one let me know.
Thanks for your help.
I Have the same problem.
All i needed to test it was creating a PDF with two pdfs attached to it. Place it onto an already indexed location or creating a new folder and adding that folder in the indexing options.
The folders getting created onto "C:\" start with ARXXXXX.
I've tested it onto Windows 2008 R2 Standard and SBS2011 Standard.
Is there any solution to this already?
i have the same Problem on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) SP1.
The iFilter Version is the new one from David.
I have 12 Server with the same configuration an the same Problem.
Is there any solution?
best regards ctrltaltentf
As stated above, I set all the settings as per the instructions and still have this problem.
I cannot edit this registry key. I get...
Error Editing Value
Cannot edit UseSystemTemp: Error writing the value's new contents.
I am logged into the server with an admin account.
I have completed the following
Start -> typed "regedit", right click "Run As Administrator"
Exported this hive of the registry, edited thie export. And attempted to "Merge" the .reg file back. Where I get the error...
"Not all data was written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."
I am stumped! How do I find what Service(s) or application(s) is/are locked this key?
That seems a very convoluted way to set the registry contents. What happens if you just try to change this one key?
Oh sorry. I was not clear in my question I tried all the following methods to edit the reg key...
1. Using regedit, and attempting to change just the one key. => "Cannot edit UseSystemTemp: Error writing the value's new contents."
2. Then I tried again, running regedit "As Admin" even though I was logged on with an admin account, with the same result.
3. Then I tried exporting the "HKLM\SW\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager" to a reg file editing it and merging it back => "Some keys are open by the system or other processes."
None of the above were successful.
The last error seems to suggest that some other service or application is locking this key.
I just don't know how to find out what.
I'm experiencing this same issue. THOUSANDS of A9Rxxx.. folders at the root of our file server's C:\ drive after installing Adobe's iFilter ver.11. I've configured the Path variable correctly. I can't edit this reg key mentioned in the Enterprise Admin guide because "Administrator" doesn't have permission to do so on that reg key path (given that fact, i'd imagine it's a bad idea to do so per Microsoft). Adobe will not answer their stinkin' phone. Chat is useless. There must be an answer? if anyone comes up with anything, I'd be grateful.
After having tried all the different suggestions out there I "stumbled" on the REAL solution to this problem (for me at least).
Ensure that the "Windows Search" service has "Allow service to interact with desktop" enabled:
After enabling this you need to restart the service.
Please note that this fix alone (not doing anything else) solves the problem :-)
I did as Tom suggested and so far so good. I enable desktop interraction, and the A9RXXX files have stopped being created. Be warned, if you make this change to the service, your index will be deleted and recreated (at least it was in my case). I owe Tom a drink!
I haven't verified that I can actually search for content of the archive files yet, but at least my system partition isn't filling with bogus files.
This actually didn't work fully. It's a little odd, but after I allowed the service to interact with the desktop, the index was completely rebuilt. It ran for days and ultimately indexed the 1.5 million or so files on the server. The A9R files were not created. However, now, after a week or two, the A9R files are getting created, but only on the newest archives my users are creating, not the 10's of thousands that were there before. To summarize, the index was recreated and finished building, presumably with all of the archive pdf included and fully indexed, but now NEW archive pdf files are getting extracted and not deleted on the root of c:\.